Discover everything you need to know about shower standing handles in this comprehensive review and guide. Ideal for bathroom renovations, these handles are crucial for enhancing safety. They are particularly beneficial for the elderly, young children, and anyone requiring additional support in the bathroom. Shower grab bars offer stability and assistance, reducing the risk of falls in the often slippery and wet bathroom environment.
Shower handles for elderly: Is it a safe choice?
Shower handles, or grab bars, are a vital safety feature for the elderly, particularly when navigating in and out of the shower. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 37% of falls requiring medical attention among older adults occur in the bathroom. As a result, the CDC highly recommends the installation of shower standing grips or handles in bathrooms, especially for those at risk of falling. These aids provide stability, reduce the risk of slips and falls, and promote independent living for seniors during their daily routines.
Standard height of a shower standing handle:
When remodeling your bathroom, determining the right height for shower valves and handles is essential for comfort and functionality. Here’s a quick guide to help you:
- Shower Valve Height:
- For a bath: The typical height for a shower valve in a bathtub setting is approximately 28 inches. This height ensures that the faucets are easily accessible while in the bathtub.
- For a shower stall: In a standard shower setup, the conventional height for the shower valve is around 48 inches. The shower valve and faucets should be installed at this height for optimal usability.
- Shower Handle Height:
- Similarly, for shower handles or grab bars, the standard height usually aligns with the shower valve, which is about 48 inches from the floor in a shower stall.
These heights are general estimates and are commonly used in most households. By adhering to these measurements, you can ensure a comfortable and standard setup for your bathroom’s shower system.
Handheld vs Overhead Showerheads: Which Is Better?
The two types of shower heads will now be compared: overhead and handheld.
Handheld Shower Heads:
Handheld shower heads offer versatility and ease of use for people of all ages and heights. Here’s what to consider when installing one:
- Adjustable to User Needs: Unlike fixed shower heads, handheld ones can be adjusted to accommodate various heights, making them ideal for families with children or individuals with specific needs.
- Standard Guideline: The conventional height for mounting a handheld shower head is typically around 72 inches above the floor. However, this is just a guideline and can be adapted to suit the unique requirements of your household.
- Accessibility Considerations: For households with young children or individuals of shorter stature, installing the handheld shower head at a lower height can make it more accessible and easier to use without strain.
Remember, the key to handheld shower heads is their flexibility. You can adjust the height to ensure maximum comfort and convenience for all users in your home.
Overhead Shower Heads:
Overhead shower heads, often referred to as rain shower heads, provide a luxurious showering experience, mimicking the sensation of gentle rainfall. Here’s what you need to know about their installation:
- Fixed Installation: Unlike handheld models, overhead shower heads are fixed and mounted directly above the user. They are attached to the ceiling or a long metal pipe extending from the wall.
- Ideal Height Considerations: The standard installation height for an overhead shower head is typically around 82 inches from the floor. This height ensures an immersive rainfall-like experience while accommodating users of different statures.
- Customizable to Family Needs: While 82 inches is the conventional height, it’s important to consider the heights of all family members. Adjusting the installation height can enhance comfort and usability for everyone in your household.
Remember, the essence of an overhead shower head is to simulate rainfall, so positioning it high enough is key to achieving the desired effect. However, personal preferences and the physical attributes of users should guide the final installation height.
Fixed shower handle vs removable shower handle:
When choosing a shower standing handle, you have two main options: fixed or removable. Here’s a quick overview of each type:
Removable Shower Handle:
- Flexibility: The major advantage is its portability and ease of replacement. Ideal for travel or temporary use.
- Installation: Generally relies on suction to adhere to the shower wall, making installation and removal straightforward.
- Limitations: Due to the reliance on suction, it may not be as stable as a fixed handle. It’s not recommended for heavier individuals, as the suction may not hold effectively under significant weight.
Fixed Shower Handle:
- Stability: Offers more stability and permanence compared to the removable type. Ideal for consistent, everyday use, especially for those needing reliable support.
- Installation Considerations: Once installed, it’s challenging to relocate or remove without leaving holes or marks on the wall. Installation should be carefully planned to ensure optimal placement.
- Suitability: Better suited for individuals who need a more robust and secure grip in the shower. Can support a wider range of weights and usages.
In summary, the choice between fixed and removable shower handles depends on your specific needs and the level of permanence and stability required. Removable handles offer convenience and flexibility, while fixed handles provide enhanced security and support.
How Do I Choose Shower Handles That Stand Up?
Selecting the ideal shower standing handles, commonly referred to as grab bars, is crucial for ensuring safety and convenience in the bathroom. Here’s a guide to help you make the best choice:
Since shower bars range in size from 9 to 42 inches, choosing one could be confusing. Keep in mind that the longer, the better.
- Length Range: Shower bars vary in length from 9 to 42 inches. Generally, longer bars offer more support and are preferable.
- Recommendation: For elderly individuals, opt for longer bars as they provide better support. A minimum length of 12 inches for the shower handle and 24 inches for bathroom entry/exit handles is recommended.
After selecting the ideal shower handle, you must determine the ideal height for the shower grab bar. It all depends on who utilizes it, though. The decision on the height rule is a good one.
- User-Centric: The ideal height for a shower grab bar depends on who will be using it.
- Standard Heights: For bathtubs, about 28 inches is standard, aligning with the faucet height. In showers, adjust the height based on user comfort, ideally at elbow height when arms are at the sides.
- Flexibility with Removable Handles: If the shower handle is detachable, you can experiment with various heights for optimal comfort.
Different bathroom handlebars are made for persons of varying weights. So make sure the weight restriction can support the objectives by checking it.
- Individual Needs: Different grab bars are designed for varying weight capacities. Ensure the chosen bar can support the heaviest potential user in your household.
Orientation – Horizontal or Vertical:
The safest shower railings, which ones? are horizon or vertical? According to the South Canterbury District Health Board, the railing in the bathroom should be vertical for safety and ease of entry and exit.
- Safety and Accessibility: Vertical bars are recommended for safety and ease of entry and exit. They should ideally be placed at the lowest elbow height.
- Balance Support: Horizontal rails, positioned at belly button height on the shower wall, are better for maintaining balance while standing or entering the shower.
Understanding Shower Safety Bars:
A grab bar, often referred to as a shower safety bar is an additional handle added to the shower or bath to save people from tripping and falling.
- Definition: A grab bar, or shower safety bar, is an added handle installed in the shower or bath to prevent slips and falls.
- Construction: Typically made of rust-free metal and available in various lengths to suit different needs and bathroom sizes.
By considering these factors, you can ensure that your bathroom is equipped with the appropriate shower standing handles, enhancing safety and convenience for all users.
To be clear, a grab bar that enables people to get up from a seated position is a shower standing handle. As a result, it has bars of various shapes and sizes and serves various purposes. Therefore, we offer this post to help you pick shower grab bars more effectively. Let’s work it out first, and then you can pay your debts.
Reviews of 5 best shower standing handles:
We are examining the top 5 shower handles if you want to get the ideal standing shower handle.
1. Moen Home 24-Inch Stainless Grab Bar for Shower – Overview
The Moen Home 24-Inch Stainless Grab Bar for Shower is a robust and stylish addition to any bathroom, ensuring safety for users of all ages, particularly the elderly and children. This bar is designed to offer substantial support and integrate seamlessly with most bathroom decors.
Key Features are:
- Material: Made from high-quality stainless steel, the bar is durable and capable of supporting up to 500 lbs, ensuring stability and safety.
- Finish: The stainless finish of the grab bar complements the modern-day kitchen and bathroom fixtures, making it an aesthetically pleasing choice.
- Installation Flexibility: Can be installed using SecureMounts or set into a stud. Note that SecureMounts are sold separately.
- Load Capacity: The bar can support up to 500 pounds, making it suitable for users of different sizes and providing extra security.
- SecureMount Design: Features a SecureMount design that enables quick and safe installation. The SecureMount system is designed for straightforward setup, but remember that it is sold separately.
- Ease of Installation: This grab bar has been designed with hassle-free installation in mind, contributing to a user-friendly experience and adding an extra layer of safety.
2. Gotega 2 Pack Shower Grab Bar – Overview
The Gotega 2 Pack Shower Grab Bars offer a cost-effective and versatile solution for enhancing bathroom safety. Ideal for the elderly, seniors, children, or those with physical limitations, these bars provide support and stability in various bathroom settings.
Key Features are:
- Dual Pack Advantage: This package includes two grab bars, allowing for installation in multiple locations within the bathroom for added convenience and safety.
- Size Variety: Available in lengths ranging from 12 to 48 inches, these bars can be chosen based on individual needs and bathroom dimensions.
- Material and Strength: Constructed from 304 stainless steel, these shower handles are robust, supporting up to 500 lbs, and offer excellent resistance to corrosion.
- Versatile Application: Ideal for use in bathtubs, showers, restrooms, and other indoor areas, these grab bars significantly reduce the risk of slips and falls.
- Installation Design: Each bar features a 3-hole flange design with 2.6-inch flanges, accompanied by 6 stainless steel screws for secure stud installation.
- Universal Use: Suitable for a wide range of users, these shower bars enhance safety for everyone, including families, seniors, and individuals with mobility challenges.
3. Budding Joy 2 Pack Strong Grab Bars for Shower with Suction Cups – Overview
Budding Joy’s 2 Pack Strong Grab Bars offer a practical solution for those needing extra support and stability in the bathroom. Designed with suction cups, these grab bars are ideal for temporary or non-invasive installations.
- Material: The grab bars are made from durable plastic and equipped with two robust suction cups for secure attachment.
- Versatile Surface Compatibility: These bars can be attached to any smooth, non-porous surface, including tile, glass, acrylic, and fiberglass, making them highly versatile for different bathroom settings.
- Suction Cup Design: The double suction cup configuration ensures a firm grip on appropriate surfaces, providing a reliable handhold for balance assistance.
- Surface Requirements: For optimal performance, these shower handles should be mounted on surfaces that are smooth, dry, and clean. It’s crucial to thoroughly clean and dry the mounting area prior to installation to ensure a secure grip.
- Weight Limitations: Unlike permanently fixed shower handles, these suction-mounted grab bars are not designed to support a person’s full body weight. They are best used for balance assistance rather than full weight-bearing support.
- Surface Restrictions: The effectiveness of the suction cups is contingent on the suitability of the surface. They may not adhere properly to porous or textured surfaces.
4. Moen 30-Inch Flip-Up Shower Standing Handle – Overview
The Moen 30-Inch Flip-Up Shower Standing Handle is an innovative and space-saving solution for bathroom safety. Its unique flip-up design makes it a versatile addition to any bathroom, catering to those who require additional support and stability.
Key Features are:
- Flip-Up Design: The standout feature of this handle is its fold-up mechanism, allowing it to be tucked away when not in use, saving space and maintaining the aesthetic of the bathroom.
- Length: Measuring at 30 inches, the handle provides a substantial grip area, catering to a wide range of heights and needs.
- Weight Capacity: This handle is designed to support up to 300lbs, making it a reliable and sturdy option for users of varying weights.
- Ease of Use: The handle is easily adjustable, moving up and down as needed, ensuring accessibility and convenience for all users.
5. Amazon Basics GBAR-150-18 Grab Bar, 18-Inch, Stainless Steel – Overview
Amazon Basics GBAR-150-18 offers a cost-effective and reliable solution for bathroom safety. This 18-inch stainless steel grab bar is designed to enhance the safety and accessibility of your bathroom, particularly for individuals who require additional support.
- Material: Made with durable stainless steel, ensuring longevity and resistance to corrosion.
- Weight Capacity: Capable of supporting over 500 lbs, making it a sturdy option for users of all sizes.
- Compliance: Meets ADA standards, ensuring accessibility for individuals with disabilities.
- Bar Diameter: The 1-1/2-inch diameter is suitable for smaller hands, providing a comfortable and secure grip.
- Installation: The package includes all necessary mounting screws and an installation guide for easy setup.
- Size: While the 18-inch length is suitable for many spaces, it’s important to measure your specific area to ensure a proper fit.
- Aesthetic: The sleek stainless steel finish offers a modern and elegant look, complementing various bathroom designs.
Shower standing handles are invaluable assets in any bathroom, particularly for seniors and individuals with limited mobility. These handles provide essential support, stability, and comfort, significantly reducing the risk of slips and falls. The effectiveness of these safety features hinges on their proper installation. By choosing the right shower grab bar and installing it correctly, you can transform your bathroom into a safer and more accessible space. Our guide aims to help you select the best shower standing handle, ensuring maximum support and injury prevention for you and your loved ones.