The Patriot Power Cell is a portable solar-powered battery designed by 4Patriots, catering to outdoor enthusiasts and city workers reliant on electronic devices. This review delves into its features and utility, helping you determine if it’s a worthwhile investment for your on-the-go power needs.
What Exactly Is a Power Cell?
A power cell, commonly known as a battery, portable charger, or power bank, is a compact and portable device designed to store electricity. It’s particularly popular among users of mobile devices who need a reliable and transportable power source for emergencies or when away from traditional power outlets.
Key Aspects of Power Cells:
- Functionality: Power cells provide backup power to charge mobile devices like smartphones and tablets.
- Solar Energy Efficiency: Commercial solar cells, often used in these power cells, can convert about 25% of the sun’s energy into electricity.
- Portability and Use in Solar Panels: When integrated into foldable solar panels, these cells become a lightweight yet powerful charging option, ideal for outdoor activities like backpacking. They’re capable of charging USB devices and are easy to carry around, offering a practical power solution globally.
About Patriot Power Cell
The Patriot Power Cell by 4Patriots, a company known for its survival kits and emergency gear, stands out as a notable product despite the company not specializing in solar equipment. Here’s a brief overview:
- Company Background: 4Patriots, established in providing survival food kits and emergency equipment, launched the Patriot Power Cell in 2014.
- Product Features:
- Solar-Powered: The Patriot Power Cell harnesses solar energy for charging.
- Portability: Compact and pocket-sized for easy transportation.
- Capacity: Equipped with an 8,000 mAh battery, capable of recharging most smartphones between 3 to 6 times.
- Water-Resistant: Designed to withstand outdoor conditions.
- USB Compatibility: Can charge any USB-enabled device.
- Affordability: Priced competitively, making it a popular choice among consumers.
- Consideration Factors: While price is a significant advantage, it’s important to weigh other aspects before making a purchase decision.
Patriot Power Cell Key Features
The key features of Patriot Power Cell are:
The battery capacity of the Patriot Power Cell is:
- Capacity: 8,000 mAh, offering multiple charges for smartphones – typically 3 to 6 full charges.
- Rechargeability: Can be recharged via any standard USB port or adapter.
- Shelf Life: Maintains charge for approximately three months without use.
- Lifecycle: Capable of 500 full charge and discharge cycles before performance decline.
A Patriot can be charging capabilities are:
- AC Outlet Charging: Takes approximately six hours to charge fully via an AC outlet.
- Solar Power Charging: Requires up to 40 hours for a full charge under optimal sunlight conditions (40 continuous hours in peak sunlight).
The Patriot Power Cell has limited charging capacity, even by industry standards:
- USB Ports: Equipped with two USB Type-A ports.
- Limitations: Lacks USB Type-C support, which is a notable shortfall for users with newer devices requiring Type-C connectivity.
- Considerations for Users: Those with modern smartphones or tablets that use USB Type-C may need to invest in an additional adapter or opt for a different power bank model with more diverse port options.
Additional Features and Considerations of the Patriot Power Cell
- Water Resistance: Boasts an IP67 rating, indicating substantial protection against water ingress.
- Built-in LED Flashlight: Adds practical utility, especially in outdoor or emergency situations.
- Durability and Design: Features a rubberized exterior for enhanced ruggedness, along with a lightweight construction.
- Consumer Feedback: There have been reports of malfunctions and failures, raising concerns about reliability.
- Portability Issues: Its bulky size may hinder easy pocket transport.
- Charging Cable Limitation: The short length of the included charging cable could restrict convenience and flexibility in usage.
While the Patriot Power Cell’s affordability is appealing, its limitations in storage, charging capabilities, and overall performance make it less recommended. For consistent, reliable power backup, investing in a higher-quality solar power bank from a reputable manufacturer may be a better choice.
The Patriot Power Cell, while being an affordable option, presents several limitations that may affect its practicality:
- Limited Storage and Charge Capabilities: It falls short as a primary battery backup during emergencies due to inadequate storage capacity.
- Charging Challenges: The AC charging process is inconvenient, and the solar panel takes several days to charge fully under optimal sunlight conditions.
- Minimal Solar Charging Impact: The slow solar charging rate is often too insignificant to be a reliable power source.
- Shelf Life: With a three-month shelf life, the device may not be practical for long-term standby use.
- Performance Issues: Reports of malfunction and limited performance capabilities raise concerns about its reliability.
- Cost vs. Quality: Despite its low cost, the lack of robust features and reliable performance makes it a questionable investment.
Many alternatives might meet your needs better than the Patriot Power Cell. We propose the following portable chargers for charging your electronics from the sun:
The Lion Cub Go Solo Kit:
The Lion Cub Go Solo Kit stands out as a more versatile and efficient power source compared to the Patriot Power Cell. Here’s a breakdown of its key features:
- Independent Solar Charging System: Unlike the Patriot Power Cell, the Lion Cub Go uses a separate solar panel system. This design enhances its solar charging efficiency.
- Quick Solar Charging Capability: It can be fully charged in just 3 to 6 hours using a modest 20W solar panel.
- Alternative Charging Options: Besides solar power, it can also be charged using a standard wall outlet.
- Diverse Power Outlets: The Lion Cub Go comes equipped with a variety of power outlets, including a full-size AC plug, two USB ports, and a DC power outlet.
- High Battery Capacity: With a 150W-rated battery, it can power small appliances like a refrigerator, making it suitable for off-grid use.
- Long-Term Off-Grid Power: It’s powerful enough to support off-grid activities for up to a year.
In summary, the Lion Cub Go Solo Kit offers a significant upgrade in terms of power capacity, charging options, and overall utility. Its ability to quickly charge via solar power and support multiple devices simultaneously makes it a reliable choice for extended off-grid use.
The Blavor Qi Solar Power Bank:
The Blavor Qi Solar Power Bank is a compact and versatile option for those needing a portable solar bank for charging mobile devices. Here’s a detailed look at its features and capabilities:
- Battery Capacity: It boasts a substantial 20,000mAh capacity, making it suitable for charging multiple phones.
- Charger-Qi Wireless Technology: This feature allows for convenient wireless charging of compatible devices.
- Multiple Charging Ports: Equipped with dual USB and reversible type C ports, it enables simultaneous charging of two devices.
- Quick-Charging Feature: Offering up to 18W power, it can adapt its charging speed to the specific needs of the connected device.
- Solar Charging: Despite having a solar panel, it requires several days for a full recharge, similar to the Patriot Power Cell.
- Additional Features: The Qi Solar Power Bank includes useful extras such as a flashlight, a robust body, and a compass, enhancing its overall utility.
In comparison to the Patriot Power Cell, the Blavor Qi Solar Power Bank stands out with a higher battery capacity, more diverse charging options, and additional practical features. While its solar charging capability is limited, its overall functionality makes it a more reliable choice for portable power needs.
the Patriot Power Cell review, it’s evident that while affordable, it falls short in critical aspects such as storage capacity, charging efficiency, and practicality for emergency situations. The slow solar charging and limited shelf life further diminish its appeal for serious outdoor enthusiasts or those seeking a reliable emergency power source. While it may serve as a low-cost, basic backup for minor power needs, investing in a more robust, reliable solar power bank from a reputable manufacturer is advisable for those needing consistent and efficient power support. Options like the Lion Cub Go Solo Kit and the Blavor Qi Solar Power Bank offer better functionality, making them preferable alternatives to the Patriot Power Cell.