Moving can be a daunting task. However, with a list of basic moving packing tips and tricks, it can become much easier to manage and accomplish. Continue reading to learn tips that you can start using now!
Tips for Efficient Packing During a Move
- Get more boxes than you think you will need. Use smaller boxes for books and bigger boxes for lighter items.
- Create a master list of all household items and belongings.
- Make an “Open Me First” box for essentials like basic tools, flashlights, pocket knife, hammer, screwdrivers, nails, masking tape, tape measure, light bulbs, hand towels, soap, toilet paper, and shampoo. Keep it to the side to be loaded last or bring it with you.
- Pack room-by-room, keeping similar items together. Use a color-coded method or number boxes when packed and sealed. Clearly indicate the room destination on each box and write down the contents on the master list.
- Reinforce the bottom of boxes with at least two strips of packing tape.
- Pack boxes firmly to prevent contents from shifting during the move.
- Use crumpled paper for padding and seal boxes tightly with wide packing tape. Consider an eco-friendly move.
- Pack records and CDs vertically in boxes and avoid stacking them flat.
- Place heavier items at the bottom of the box and lighter items on top.
- Separate items with paper to prevent scratches caused by rubbing.
- Remove lids from jars and ceramics, and wrap each separately.
- Seal any opened boxes and bottles before packing them to avoid spills and leakage.
- Use towels, linens, curtains, etc. to pad boxes of fragile items. Clearly mark these boxes as “FRAGILE.”
- Use a jumbo box for lampshades and cushion them well.
- When disassembling furniture, beds, lamps, etc., put the hardware into a plastic bag along with any assembly tips and tape it to the item itself.
- Use a wardrobe box for hanging clothes, and use the bottom part for shoes and belts.
- If possible, ask if you can leave clothes in dresser drawers (usually it is okay if moving from ground floor to ground floor).
In conclusion, moving can be a stressful process, but proper packing can help make the transition smoother. By following these essential tips and tricks for packing, you can ensure that your belongings are packed safely and efficiently.
From using the right size boxes for different items to labeling boxes and using padding for fragile items, these tips will help you pack your items with care. Don’t forget to make a master list of your belongings and pack a box of essentials that you can access easily. By planning ahead and taking the time to pack properly, you can make your move a success.